33 Church Street, Tamworth, Staffs, B797BX
Drayton Manor Park
Drayton Manor Park is home to some of the biggest wettest and scariest rides around with Shockwave, Europe's first stand up roller coaster, Stormforce 10, with a backwards water drop and Apocalypse voted the scariest ride in the Uk by Channel 4's The Gadget Show. With 15 acres of open plan zoo which has over one hundred animals from all over the world including endangered species.
The SnowDome is the UKs premier real snow centre and the leading choice for skiers and snowboarders. Real snow, all year round, provides the ultimate Alpine surface to learn and enjoy these exciting sports in a fun and progressive environment. There is a 170 metre main slope and the two Snow Academy areas (separate 30 metre and 25 metre teaching slopes). With a dedicated children's snow play area, ice skating rink and complete with a mini rink for first timers.
Tamworth Castle is the number one heritage attraction, located in the town centre of Tamworth. Six wealthy and influential families have owned the Castle over the centuries. The Medieval motte and bailey castle has welcomed royal visits from King Henry II, Edward III, James I and his son Prince Charles. Most recently the castle welcomed HRH the Prince of Wales as part of the Mercian Regiment formation in 2007. The ancient sandstone tower and shell keep still dominate views of Tamworth today.
St Editha's Church
The Parish Church of St Editha is one of the largest and oldest churches in the Midlands. It dates back to Saxon times 1200 years ago, when Tamworth was the capital of the Kingdom of Mercia.
With a spacious interior, grand arcades and Norman arches, St Editha's is believed to have been built under the guidance of Robert de Marmion, the King's Champion and Lord of Tamworth Castle.
The church has a magnificent double spiral staircase, a very rare example in which two flights of stairs wind one above the other around the same central post. St Editha's also has a unique stained glass window designed by the world-renowned pre- Raphaelite Sir Edward Burne-Jones.
Built in 1701 and funded by Thomas Guy, the Town Hall stands in Market Street. The original design consisted of a single room supported by 18 Tuscan style stone pillars. A decorative exterior staircase on the east side gave access to the first floor room, which also served as a platform for public events and announcements. In 1771 the exterior steps were demolished and two rooms were added to the rear on the east side. In 1811 these were replaced by two larger rooms funded in part by the first Sir Robert Peel.
The area beneath the hall served as the Butter Market and later housed the town's first fire engine. The turret in the centre of the roof was another later addition to the building. The domed cupola with ornate iron weathervane once housed a lantern and also contained a bell to summon firemen. The clock on the front of the Town Hall was presented to the town by the then owner of Tamworth Castle, John Robbins, in 1812. The Town Hall is still used today for civic events and some council meetings and is open to the public during the National Heritage Open Day event which takes place in September each year.
The Old Stone Cross, 33 Church Street, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B797BX, United Kingdom
Tel: 07778 984 385, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org